by Madeline Laughs
I just don’t know what all the big hoo-ha is with making smoothies. I make them all the time. With a few basic ingredients, you can make them all the time too.
I keep Greek yogurt, skim milk, honey and a variety of frozen fruits on hand all the time. I also buy fresh fruits in season. That and a blender are all you need to make a fabulous and nutritious smoothie!
Pictured above is everything you need to make a Bananas Foster Smoothie, my personal favorite. I add some kind of tart fruit like frozen peaches or mango to every smoothie. It’s a good source of Vitamin C and it adds another dimension to the taste. The cinnamon is a hot spice and adds a layer of zing to an otherwise creamy concoction.
My favorite mangoes are in season right now, the Sindhri. They are smaller than regular mangoes and have a dense buttery sweet taste. They are also a nice source of beta carotene for your smoothie.
Okay, gather your stuff and start loading the blender.
I throw the frozen fruit in first. A handful of this and a handful of that. Then I pour in about a half cup of skim milk, a dollop of local honey (because I have allergies and honey helps), a couple of dollops of Greek yogurt (Vitamin D and protein) and any fresh fruit I want, like a banana or some blueberries. Now would be a great time to add any protein powders if you desire that.
I put the lid on and I spin it!
If the smoothie gets hung up and won’t spin, add a little more milk to loosen it back up.
Voila! Instant karma!
Handy Tip: Have you bought fresh bananas only to watch them rot in the fruit bowl? I peel mine, put them in a plastic baggy and freeze them when they reach a certain ripeness. This way I have the creaminess of the banana for the recipe and I have a frozen treat to make my smoothie icy cold.
Check out your grocer’s freezer for frozen fruits and your Farmer’s Market for fruit in season for your smoothie recipes. You’ll be surprised how many different ones you’ll find.
Smoothie anyone? Easy!!
- Smoothie Making 101 (thegrassskirtblog.com)
- Healthy and Delicious Fruit Smoothie (blogcritics.org)
- How do you make the best smoothie EVER that is all-natural (wiki.answers.com)
- Seriously Spinached Smoothie (thescenefromme.com)
- The Best Fruit Smoothie Recipes (tips4market.wordpress.com)
- Betty’s Blueberry-Banana Smoothie Recipe (thecookingchannel.wordpress.com)
- Just how healthy are Tim Hortons smoothies? (macleans.ca)
- Homemade Fruit Smoothie Pops (cathiefilian.blogspot.com)
- Celebrate Your Love of the Smoothie With These Refreshing Ideas (fitsugar.com)
- Green Smoothies….again for my dear friend! (wildchow.wordpress.com)
- Greek Yogurt Strawberry Breakfast Smoothie (justpinchme.wordpress.com)
- Simple Summer Smoothies (wales4u.wordpress.com)
- Very Berry Smoothie and Whole Food’s Frozen Berry Blend (nancycreative.wordpress.com)