by Madeline Laughs
I travel quite a bit, so I have taught myself to pack quickly and efficiently. Even using the techniques that serve me well, I still find myself reevaluating items that make it into my suitcase each trip.
I keep a list of things that I should pack every single time. There is nothing worse than arriving at your destination and realizing the next morning, as you dry yourself from your shower…that you forgot to pack your underwear. By then you’ll be flying commando until you can make it to the department store to replace those forgotten necessities. If your trip is leisure, then forgetting something this crucial isn’t a big deal, but if you’re already running late for a business appointment it can kind of cramp your style.
Always pack your underwear.
Believe it, or not, but I have found myself standing in the hotel parking lot in the middle of the night wearing nothing but my pajamas and whatever shoes I could slip on in a hurry. You never know when the hotel is going to catch fire, or when some drunk fool celebrating his best friend’s wedding is going to set off the fire alarm. The last thing you want to be doing when that horrible siren is blaring loud enough to wake the dead, is looking for something to put on.
Always pack pajamas.
It might be sunny and blazing warm where you are and the weather report might call for sunny and blazing where you’re going, but the weather, like your mind, can change on a thin dime. You’ll be a lot happier leaving the lobby in the morning to get in your car if you aren’t freezing your butt off.
Always pack a light jacket or a sweater.
We all like to think we’re going to get back in shape or lay by the pool while we’re at the hotel. I think those are two worthwhile things to aspire to. Sneakers don;t take up that much room and some workout wear and a swimsuit aren’t that bulky either. Besides if you have it with you, you’re more likely to actually use it.
Always pack your swimsuit, sneakers and workout clothes.
Wherever you’re headed don’t forget to pack the little items that round out an outfit. These are things people forget most often. Men have it easier than women because they don’t have too many accessories to worry about, but women always have that special scarf or belt that just makes the look, look that much better.
Always pack your clothing accessories.
You never know what might happen on your trip. I was flying once and the flight attendant spilled coffee all over my blouse during turbulence. I had not packed anything extra so this left me short on the clothing tally towards the end of my trip. I ended up having to pay extra to have the blouse laundered while I was there. Now I always take at least two extra blouses, just in case.
Always pack at least two extra blouses or shirts.
Preparing your clothes the night before a flight or a trip is important. It saves time dawdling over what you’ll wear on the trip. I travel in comfortable shoes that are easy to slip on and off. I have packed my entire suitcase though and arrived at my destination realizing the only shoes I remembered were the ones I had on. These shoes would not be appropriate for a business meeting so I was once again making a trip to the department store to buy more shoes.
Always remember to pack your shoes.
Toiletries, jewelry and anything else that you will definitely need should be packed light, using small bottles and jars for toiletries and packing only the jewelry you’ll be wearing. Even if you’re not flying, remember that you will be lugging that heavy suitcase around by yourself.
Always pack a suitcase you can carry on your own without hurting yourself.
There is a lot to be said for packing light and packing efficiently. In the long run it will make your trip go smoother and you’ll have everything you need to get the job done.
- Packing Guide for Travellers – Flight Centre NZ (blogs-1a.fclmedia.com)
- #WAY to Pack it in 5mins (leggotunglei808.wordpress.com)
- Pack It Up, in Style (fabsugar.com)
- Pack Like a Pro (fabsugar.com)
- My Packing Strategy for our Trip to Japan (youlookfab.com)
- #Pack Your #Carry-On Like a Prof. (leggotunglei808.wordpress.com)
- Pack the perfect weekend bag (johnlewis.com)
- Packing Tips for the Average Traveler (yapanowtravelblog.wordpress.com)
- Packing Attempts (jmorelos13.wordpress.com)
- “The Way I Pack” (abovestandardissue.wordpress.com)
- How to Stay Chic While Packing Light (colesvilletravel.wordpress.com)
- Honeymoon Packing Guide: Make it All Fit! (fabsugar.com)
- Ones travelling bag and / or purse have to be timeless however not to mention suit your sneakers (penguingeneration.com)
- Pack light even for a cruise (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- How to Pack Your Carry-On Like an Expert! (fabsugar.com)
- Packing Tips (outdoorscoloradochatter.wordpress.com)
- Samsonite packing tips – weekend away (johnlewis.com)
- Packing List: Swimsuit and Twizzlers (barnako.typepad.com)