by Madeline Laughs
Recently a good friend asked me how she could get more whimsy in her life. She told me she was afraid she had lost hers and wanted to figure out how to be more whimsical.
What is whimsy?
Whimsy is playful behavior. It is a fantastic stress reliever.
I have quite a few whimsical friends.
I am full of whimsy myself.
I have one friend that is whimsical 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you climb into her minivan for a ride you’ll find glitter on the dashboard and postit notes all over with reminders to live life to the fullest. There are flower headdresses tucked between the seats and fairy winged frillies hanging from the mirror. She is the definition of whimsy. She embodies the term and lives it wholeheartedly.
One afternoon we were out delivering for Meals on Wheels and had stopped the minivan in the shade for a minute to have a snack. I finished up my banana and hunted around for a trash bag. I noticed her peel was gone and asked her what she did with hers, “Oh I laid it out for the birds to eat.” This sounded incredibly lovely to me. I wanted to “gently lay my banana peeling out” for the birds to eat too. I wanted the pomp and majesticness of tippy toeing around the peeling and gently calling to the birds to come and rest and to sup on my banana peeling offering.
So I asked her how I could go about doing this.
She reached for my peeling and said “Here. I’ll show you.”
And she rolled down her window and threw it out.
She turned and smiled as she started the engine. She knew I was shocked that there wasn’t some grand layingoutofthebananapeeling ceremony. She knew she had just surprised me. When it hit me, I laughed so hard I nearly wet my pants!
Many events throughout the course of our adult lives give us “permission” to be whimsical and not be judged for it. For instance, acting like a kid and being playful when we’re around children is great. Wearing a costume to a party is fine.
But how about the other days of the week?
How do the rest of you find your whimsy on a daily basis?
- Whimsy (Part 4) (zeldatetrasheik.wordpress.com)
- !Whimsy Grass Kids Rug (momenililmowhimsylmj11grs500rbed.wordpress.com)
- Today I Give Myself Permission to Appreciate Whimsy #atozchallenge (raisingthecurtain.net)
- An Imaginary Whimsy (lexiemasondavis.wordpress.com)
- A to Z Challenge – W is for whimsy and Wimsey. (lynnerevettebutler.com)
- Behind the art: 3 panels of colorful whimsy (poeticaperture.com)
- Weekly Whimsy: Nelly’s 10th Birthday Tea Party (lillywildsweeklywhimsy.wordpress.com)
- My Colorful Whimsy (yvalovee.wordpress.com)
- Win on Wednesday: Beach Whimsy Scrapbook Kit (katiepertiet.typepad.com)