Making shower and bath bombs is great fun! Mostly because once the mixture is put together it has the weirdest quality to it! That was the weirdest “dough” I have ever worked with. I spilled a blob on the countertop and it spread out and looked like spilled milk, but when I tried to wipe it up, it came together again like a solid mass again. Weird!!! But FUN!!!
I can’t explain it well enough for you to understand. Perhaps you’ll try this recipe and see for yourself what I’m talking about. I found my recipe on Homemade Simple
By Rachel Faucett
Basic Fizzy Bath Bomb Recipe
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid*
Essential oil of your choice (see below for recommendations)
Food coloring (optional for color)
Ice cube tray, muffin tin or silicone mold
*Tip: Most supermarkets carry citric acid. Look for it near the canning supplies.
1. Sift baking soda and citric acid into a mixing bowl and, wearing gloves, mix well.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine essential oil, food coloring and 1 teaspoon water.
3. With gloves on, mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until texture is crumbly and can just hold its shape when squeezed with your hands. Add more water, if needed. Work quickly so the mixture doesn’t have a chance to fizz.
4. Tightly pack mixture into molds. Let sit overnight (do not place in direct sunlight).
5. Tap molds to release bath bombs. Wrap in tissue paper and store in an airtight container. Use the bath bombs within two weeks, as they will lose their fizzing power if kept in storage too long.
You can omit the citric acid if you just want to make some nice soothing shower bombs with lavender or menthol to open your sinuses.
Check out Homemade Simple for other great do it yourself recipes like this one. They have so many items to choose from and all of them are so simple and easy to make.
- DIY Shower Jellies (beautyinformer.wordpress.com)
- Bath bomb recipe (candlesandsoaps.wordpress.com)
- New Summer Bath Bomb from Essential Addictions (essentialaddictionsblog.wordpress.com)
- There’s A Volcano In My Bathtub! (mamarosemary.com)
- DIY Easter Egg Bath Bombs (stylemepretty.com)
- Lemongrass Bath Bombs (eliproducts.wordpress.com)
- Fizzy Magic (allformebbp.wordpress.com)
- The Month of May (yummnaturally.wordpress.com)
- Frangipani Fantasy Bath Mallow: Bomb Cosmetics (givemeglitter.wordpress.com)
- Bathtub is not just an activity that certain undertakes in the beginning (unknowntheartist.com)